I’d love to say that my family’s heartwarming Thanksgiving traditions and favorite recipes resemble those depicted in cozy Hallmark movies. The smells of a plump, juicy turkey and homemade stuffing made with that “magic” ingredient of love that only Grandma has in her cupboard…. Cooking for hours while some of us head outside for the family touch football game and the pumpkin pie gets its turn in the oven… Alas, it is not.
Burnt rolls. That’s our family Thanksgiving recipe tradition. Growing up, I distinctly remember that every year, without fail, my mother would burn the pre-packaged, pre-frozen, couldn’t-be-less-homemade dinner rolls. As the years passed, bets started to be placed, not on whether or not she WOULD burn them, but just how charred the bottoms would be.
“Just cut the burnt parts off – they’ll be fine,” she would say. And like in most things, she was right. By the end of the meal, we’d have a pile of burnt, cut off roll bottoms piled on the table – and all the good parts devoured. No one ever questioned why she didn’t get better at baking rolls, and it became such a running joke in our family that we’d probably have been disappointed if she had. THAT’S what’s wonderful about family tradition. It can come from the most unexpected places, and it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else, as long as it warms your heart.
As it’s probably obvious that I won’t be passing on great recipe traditions to my girls as we create our own Thanksgiving memories in the coming years, tell us… What’s your favorite Thanksgiving recipe family tradition? Share it with us, and you could win a $75 gift certificate toward groceries for your family feast!
- Follow FirstLight Home Care on Pinterest at Pinterest.com/FirstLightCare
- FirstLightCare will follow you back
- We’ll invite you to Pin to the group board “FirstLight Remembers”
- To the group board, Pin your favorite family recipe – and the tradition behind it
- Include #FirstLightRemembers in the Description of each Pin
Enter now through 11/19/13. FirstLight guest judges will select the winning Pin on 11/20/13. We’ll notify the winning Pinner in the Comments section of their submission Pin. If you have any issues adding Pins to the group board, please email us at Pinterest@FirstLightHomeCare.com.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes and memories! And check our upcoming blog post where we’ll announce our winner. Happy Thanksgiving!
Official “FirstLight Remembers” Thanksgiving 2013 Contest Rules
1. No purchase necessary.
2. Must be 18 years of age and a resident of the United States.
3. Up to 10 recipes per person may be pinned for consideration.
4. To be considered, Pin must be added to the Pinterest group board “FirstLight Remembers”.
5. Contest Pins will be taken from November 1, 2013 4 p.m. EST through November 19, 2013 9 p.m. EST.
6. Winner will be selected by a FirstLight Home Care guest panel of judges based on originality and creativity of pins on the group board.
7. Winner will be notified in the Pin Comments section of the Pin posted on the “FirstLight Remembers” board on November 20, 2013 by 5 p.m. EST.
8. Prize is one (1) gift certificate to a store in the winner’s geographic area valued at $75.00 USD. The store chosen based on the geography of the winner is not a sponsor of and is in no way affiliated with this contest. All terms of the store’s gift certificates apply. No cash value.
9. By adding Pins to the “FirstLight Remembers” Pinterest group board and pinning your photos, you acknowledge that you understand the official contest rules and regulations, that you have full permission from all parties shown in the Pin to share it, and that the winning Pin may be used in contest winner announcements on Pinterest and on FirstLight Home Care’s blog at https://www.firstlighthomecare.com/care-library/firstblog/.
10. Contest is open to FirstLight Home Care Pinterest followers. Employees of FirstLight Home Care are not eligible to enter the contest.
11. This contest is void where prohibited by applicable state laws, rules, and regulations. By participating in the contest you acknowledge that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or associated with, Pinterest.
12. This contest is associated only to FirstLight Home Care Franchising LLC. None of its partners or affiliates are responsible or liable for the contest.
13. Disclosure of any/all personal information provided by you (the participant in the contest) is information collected by FirstLight Home Care and not Pinterest.
14. Participant data with a completed Pin is property of FirstLight Home Care and will be used for communications with regard to FirstLight Home Care products and services. Information will not be sold to a third-party. By submitting your information FirstLight Home Care obtains consent from you to receive information from FirstLight Home Care.
15. At any time a participant in the contest can unsubscribe to any materials from FirstLight Home Care and at any time can “unfollow” the FirstLight Home Care Pinterest page.
16. This contest is subject to change and/or end without notification.
17. Any questions, concerns, or for a copy of these official contest rules and this promotion should be directed to FirstLight Home Care: 877-570-0002. For additional information about FirstLight Home Care please visit www.firstlighthomecare.com.