The Baby Boomer generation are pretty cool. There are 40 million Americans age 65 and older and they make up 13 percent of the population. By 2030, when all the baby boomers will have passed age 65, this group will represent over 20 percent of the population. What’s fascinating is that they continue to make a difference in our world. Here are some trends that show just how Baby Boomers are making an impact!
1. Helping Young People: Baby Boomers are going back to the classroom to support local schools. With funding reduced in area schools, many Boomers are joining forces and going into the classrooms to support teachers by reading to students, tutoring and mentoring the next generation.
2. Starting a Businesses: Boomers, especially women, are starting their second career. They are starting a new businesses, becoming coaches and consultants and turning their passion into the job they have always wanted. At FirstLight Home Care we’ve seen this first hand. The number of Baby Boomers seeking to own a franchise business that serves and cares for the elderly is on the rise. The need to help is a core philosophy of this generation and what we do fits perfectly in how they want to make a difference in the lives of families.
3. Traveling: Baby Boomers are out in high numbers seeing the world. They have worked hard for years and it is now time to take advantage of the money they’ve saved and travel – both domestically and abroad.
4. Volunteering: Boomers are volunteering from the ball fields and concert halls, to feeding the hungry and gathering goods for the men and women in our military. They are out in large numbers making a difference and giving back.
5. Still Working: Many Boomers do not want to retire. They are still working and plan to do so for many years to come. Stats from About Careers state that 55% of Boomers want to keep working to maintain their independence and to continue to benefit from the financial opportunities in their selected field.
Baby Boomers, whether still working, retired or semi-retired still feel the need and desire to make an impact on their local communities and the world they live in. If you’re over the age of 50, what cool thing are you doing to make a difference? Post on our Facebook page, we’d love to hear from you. Click here to go to Facebook.