The holidays can be stressful. We have more things to do, family obligations, events, activities, shopping, and more. If you are a family caregiver – there doesn’t seem to be enough time for it all. It can all become too much. It’s tough and for many caregivers we become overwhelmed, exhausted, even depressed when the quality of a Caregiver’s daily life is out of balance.
Many caregivers have no lunch hours, no coffee breaks, and no vacation. We all need breaks. It is why we are always emphasizing the importance of respite care. You will be a better caregiver when you dedicate time to recharge. Respite care, which allows you to take time off while your loved one is in someone else’s care, provides that time off. To start, you need to find the person or persons able to help you. This can be another family member or it can be an organization like FirstLight Home Care. Once you have this in place you will see that taking time for yourself this holiday season (or really any time throughout the year) will help you. Why you should consider getting help to support you as a caregiver:
- You will be a better caregiver. If you are overwhelmed with caring for a loved one, you can be at risk for experiencing problems like depression, guilt, anger, sleep disorders and strained social and family relationships. Refreshed caregivers provide better care. Having a backup plan in case you are unexpectedly unable to provide care will also reduce everyone’s anxiety.
- You will be healthier. Time off is necessary for mental and physical health.
- You can be able to get errands and chores done for you and your family that have been piling up.
- You can take a vacation. Everyone needs time for themselves. It can be a couple of hours or a short-term break (aka a vacation) will help you to avoid burnout.
- You can go out and have some fun. This is very important. Caregivers are people too. They need breaks and time to get out and enjoy time with family and friends or even time alone. This time allows you to reconnect, regroup, and get recharged.
To learn more about FirstLight Home Care’s Respite Care services, click here.