For many, the holidays are stressful times. Parties, holiday shopping, family gatherings, too much food, over spending…too many obligations and no time for relaxation. This isn’t how you want it to be, but yet every year it is. This year make a declaration to yourself to make it different. Today is the day to get that plan in place and make it a season of peace, joy, and celebration.
- Define what is most important to you. If it means more time with family, great. If it means something spiritual, super. If it means something else, fantastic. It’s whatever you want it to be.
- Stop worrying. You can’t control the future. If you have an office party or family gathering and these life events make you stressed – take a deep breath and focus on the immediate moment. Worrying gets you nowhere. When the time comes for the party or gathering – be positive. Look for ways to enjoy the time you have with others.
- Keep things simple. If you exchange gifts and you don’t have a clue what to get someone – keep it simple. Get a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant, coffee shop, bookstore, or a movie theater.
- Start your own tradition. Is there something you have always wanted to do during the holidays but there was no time to fit it in? This year, break free and do it. Invite friends or family members to join you and then plan to do it again next year.
- Do things that give meaning. If the holidays have become too commercialized for your liking, then volunteer, engage in spiritual activities, or do something that will allow you to make this season special for you.
- Take time for you. Make time for some activities that nourish you such as keeping up with your exercise routine, trying to get a little extra sleep, or just finding some down time for you.
From all of us at FirstLight Home Care, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season. Enjoy the celebrations and make the most of your time with family and friends. We certainly plan to!