Pack The Essentials: Elderly Traveler Checklist
Summer is quickly approaching and more elderly people will be heading out-of-town and will travel by car, plane, train or ship for their next adventure. AARP is reporting that adults 50 and older will be active travelers in 2017. More than 55% will travel within the U.S.; 42% plan to travel both domestically and international; and 3% are expected to travel solely abroad.
If you or your parents are one of the millions 50 and older travelers preparing for a trip, FirstLight Home Care has put together the following Senior Travel Checklist Essential that will help you stay safe and healthy while away.
- Carry the medications in the original pill bottle with the prescription label with you. Make sure you have enough dosage for your entire trip plus a few days in case of delay in getting home. Make a copy of your prescription labels in case you need someone from home to call in a prescription while you’re away
- Health insurance card
- Make copies of important documents, including your medication list, doctor’s name and contact number, advance directives, allergy list, identification, passport and your photo id for a family member in case something is lost
- Consider purchasing a money belt that you wear when while at your destination
- Extra pair of glasses
- Additional hearing aid batteries
- Umbrella, rain jacket and poncho
- Sweater or light jacket
- Mobile phone or phone card – for both domestic and international calls
- Electrical or mobile cords, adaptors for international use if traveling abroad
- Hat and sunscreen
- Compression socks
- Mini first aid kit with such items as gas-relief tablets, antacid tablets, pain and fever relief tablets, band aids, and topical antibiotic
- Denture container
- Comfortable shoes
Did we forget something on our senior travel checklist? Feel free to add your suggestion by commenting on this blog or click over and join the conversation on our Facebook page. If you don’t want to travel alone or are worried about your parents traveling alone, FirstLight Home Care offers a Travel Companion Program that will make certain that your travel is as safe and stress-free as possible.