On The Longest Day, the strength of our light will outshine the darkness of Alzheimer’s.
The longest day in our calendar year is determined by the day with the most daylight – the summer solstice. In 2019 this day is June 21.
On this day, and through August, FirstLight® Home Care locations across the United States will join thousands of participants around the world to fight the darkness of Alzheimer’s by hosting community fundraising activities and awareness events in support of The Longest Day®.
Alzheimer’s disease is a global epidemic. Progressive and eventually debilitating, Alzheimer’s is devasting to everyone affected by the disease. The growing statistics are startling, so we want to ensure that, as a company, we are doing everything we can to raise funds to support awareness for the care, support, research… and one day, the cure…of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States.
- More than 5 million Americans are living with the disease.
- 16 million family and friends provide unpaid care to people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias in the United States.
- Every 65 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s.
- In 2018, more than 16 million caregivers of people living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias provided an estimated 18.5 billion hours of unpaid care, a contribution to the nation valued at nearly $234 billion. This number is expected to rise to $1.1 trillion by 2050.
The Alzheimer’s Association launched The Longest Day event in 2012 in order to shine a light on the 5.7 million Americans living with Alzheimer’s disease and the more than 16 million family members and friends providing care and support.
FirstLight Home Care is proud to support this cause. We take care of many clients and families who are living with this disease, and we recognize the importance of participating in activities such as The Longest Day that help bring Alzheimer’s disease out of the shadows.
The FirstLight Global Team includes our staff from the home office headquarters in Cincinnati, as well as franchise owners and their employees from local FirstLight Home Care offices across the United States. Together we have joined forces and will host bake sales, car washes, chili cook-offs, Ageless Grace Brain Fitness events, and other fun community activities to reach our $50,000 goal.
Contact your local FirstLight Home Care office to learn how you can join the fight against Alzheimer’s in your local community. Or visit The Longest Day FirstLight Home Care team page for more information on how you can donate to this wonderful cause.
We are proud to CHAMPION the family caregiver, offering empathy, advice, and support for those who provide countless hours of care to their loved ones. We want to provide a helping hand, relieve some of the stress that comes with caregiving and give you back a few hours in your overwhelmingly busy day.